What Is Black Mold?

Water damage is always unexpected, and can really come at any time of the year. Whether it’s from a storm, a plumbing leak or even from water that was used to fight a fire, water damage can have a long-lasting effect, even if it seems to be cleaned up. When water gets into your home, it can seep into your walls, your upholstery, your carpeting, and even behind hidden places you wouldn’t think to check. It may seem that it has all dried up, but if it is not cleaned properly and professionally it can be a breeding ground for black mold, which is a nasty substance that can cause serious problems for you and your family. There aren’t many studies done on black mold, but we do know that for sure it negatively affects people’s health. Some of the symptoms and health effects are mild, but they can become serious as well. It is important if you have water damage, to call SERVPRO of The Main Line right away to properly clean up the water damage, to prevent black mold from forming.

Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips

How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?

Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of The Main Line immediately. 

If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (610) 640-9533

Understanding Mold

When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:

  • Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
  • Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
  • Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
  • Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
  • Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
  • Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.

Locally Owned Company with National Resources

SERVPRO of The Main Line is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 2,200 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large-scale disasters.

Visit our updated page

We are proud to serve our local communities:

  • Paoli
  • Malvern
  • Strafford
  • Devon
  • Berwyn
  • Frazer
  • Exton
  • Chesterbrook